What do you do or should you do when there is an Air Pollution Action Day Alert?
10 Steps You Can Take on an Ozone Action Day to help reduce your contribution to ozone formation.
Travel Tips –
1) Limit driving. Defer errands or share a ride. For short trips, walk or ride a bike.
2) If you drive, avoid excessive idling.
3) Take transit. Ride the bus or train to work, school, or shopping.
4) Don’t Refuel on an Ozone Action Day. If you must refuel, do so after 7 pm.
5) Avoid using gasoline powered equipment, such as outboard motors and off-road vehicles.
Home Tips –
1) Defer mowing your lawn until late evening or the next day. Also, avoid using other gasoline-powered garden equipment.
2) Postpone using oil-based paints, solvents, or varnishes.
3) Use an electric starter or charcoal chimney rather than lighter fluid.
4) Defer use of household consumer products that release fumes or evaporate easily.
5) Conserve energy to reduce energy needs from power plants.
U.S. EPA Guide to Air Quality and Your Health http://www.epa.gov/airnow/aqi_brochure_08-09.pdf